Jammu Kashmir Seeks Attention....Freedom is Our Birth Right....We Want United independent Jammu Kashmir..

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Interview with aging mother of Maqoobl butt (shaheed)

'Huge voter turnout hurt me'

Maqbool Bhat's aging mother is living in a shack-like mud-and-wood house, unattended. Although she grudges the indifference of Hurriyat leaders to the victims, she is contented and still believes that her son, Maqbool Bhat has won her greater honour. Our North Kashmir reporter Showkat Nanda visits Trehgam where Shah Mali tells him about the ordeal she had been through.

How do you remember your son?
I remember him as a sober, shy and a loving person. He used to remain away from home for days together and when he would return, he would sit quietly in his room reading books. Today whenever I feel like missing him desperately, I go to his room and stare at his books.

Did you know at that time that he was going to become a freedom fighter?
In those days it was beyond the understanding of a common person to know what freedom is. His behaviour at times would indicate that he is striving for something but we never really understood that he was spending his days and nights in pursuit of the freedom of his motherland.

How do you commemorate February 11, the day of his martyrdom?
Just as others prepare for Eid or some other Holy day. We also prepare in advance because hundreds of people visit our home on this day. This day brings both joy and gloom to our home. Joy because he gave his life for the nation and as a mother I feel proud. The day also brings sadness because he left us forever. We serve Kahwa to anyone who visits us on this day.

You along with your daughter-in -law and her children live in difficult conditions?
Do you blame anyone for this?It is true that we have been living in an extremely difficult life. The only earning hand is my widow daughter-in-law, who works as a class four employee in a bank. Many leaders come and promise many things, but no one has done anything so far. Here I may add that we are contented with what ever we have. My son has given me the honour and made me proud. What else do I need.

Would you like to say something to Kashmiri nation as the mother of Muhammad Maqbool Bhat?
Yes. We have given a lot of sacrifices for freedom of our motherland. I would urge people to respect those sacrifices. The huge participation of people in recent elections have hurt me so much. I request people to never bow down before the oppressor and take the freedom struggle, started by my son, to its logical end.

http://www.risingkashmir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10554

0 comments: